BlogCatalog

Art & Artist Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Strutting Your Stuff

I like a simple web site. By that I mean easy to navigate and straight to the point. I always told my students at Uni that good online and interactive design follows very simple principles and they can be summed up in two statements. " Don't make me work!" and "don't make me think!" As soon as you complicated the use of any aspect of a website by trying to be too smart and gimmicky. You loose the initial purpose of the site and for the most part you frustrate your audience. Demographic and style considerations take a back seat until the simplicity of use and navigation is formalized.

You can find loads of free web hosting services on the web and loads of free templates and apps to help get you started. This site - http://www.free-webhosts.com/no-forced-ads.php has a list and you can browse the different sites at your leisure. Pick what you feel comfortable with and sign up. Be careful to read all licensing agreements.

I am currently setting up a demonstration site and I will report on how its going. I will update you on the free processes that I think are suitable. You should eventually be able to set up a free website the has all the bells and whistles while still being usable and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment