BlogCatalog

Art & Artist Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, June 14, 2010

Figuring It All Out

As this is the first time I have attempted running a cloud studio using old hardware, I have decided to document processes, successes and failures. To start I have begun developing some diagrams outlining the general idea in order to help me formulate the initial setup. What I want to do is have an old computer capable of basic graphics etc, using Ubuntu and associated software for graphic and illustration purposes. This box will be where I do the artwork. possibly scanning stuff in and cleaning it up. I will then use the cloud to store the clients work, saving an occasional hard copy on DVD as required. I then hope to contact the clients, convince them to use accounts I set up for them and get them to brief me via chat software available on the cloud or email. While I work they can update me on their feelings about the works progress. When its all finished I will upload the finished piece to the cloud invoicing and directing them to a pay-pal account for payment. It all sounds good and looks ok on paper but....I am running into some glitches early on. My first problem is getting Ubuntu to run on such a small hard drive. I have only got a couple of Gigs at the moment. I will be trying to source a cheap or free larger drive in order to get Ubuntu and company to run.



In an attempt to get a smaller OS but still maintain a Ubuntu distribution I have searched the Net hi and low. I have found a couple of options but none more exciting that Ubuntulite 0.8. It is a cut down version of Ubuntu with the capability of being expanded. I am hoping I can get the usual graphics software to run on it so I can go forth and illustrate. I found the iso at ( http://u-lite.org/content/get-u-lite) for those who are'nt technical enough to get it running. I will look around for others. But for the time being Ulite will suit my purposes.


No comments:

Post a Comment