BlogCatalog

Art & Artist Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Using Free Software Fluidly.

I am off and running now with my free computer and free software. I had an old scanner that had seen better days. I kept it under the bed in case it would come in handy for parts. I plugged it into the USB port, ran Ubuntu's Xane scanning software and hey presto I was scanning in my sketches ready to be traced back in Xara in seconds.
That's real plugnplay in my book. No faffing around looking for drivers or waiting for Windows to find the right driver. Ubuntu just made it work right away. So I am now using this box ( The Freeware Illustrator Box ) to do some client illustrations. I have posted the screen shots of my Xara brush clean up of scanned images. The beauty here is that Xara is a vector program, I can keep these files small eg 800 x 800 and output a high res 300 dpi image without any loss of crispness to the line.



No comments:

Post a Comment